Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Wishing Well

Wishing Well


My right foot's jammed in a wishing well
My left foot's sending me straight to hell
I'm a south paw too so I'm demon possessed -
An outcast in a world full of lawlessness
They'll drag me from here and set me to pay
For a thousand sins in my head today.

I'm too good to be a criminal
Too bad I'm not a saint,
I'm trapped in the vice
'tween what I am and what I ain't -
A casual visionary and rogue missionary
Are these chains necessary?
I've nowhere to escape.

White square to black square
Black square to white
Tie my hands tight -
I won't confess
My mouth is dry –
I can't protest
My days stretch into nothingness,
Trapped here in my worthlessness.

I tell myself in time this too will pass
The last will be first and the first will be last
But in a storm of reality strapped to the mast -
Can't see beyond my checkered past.

And they'll burn me at the stake
When the gavel strikes the board
To my psyche I've become
Both slave and lord,
But of this I am assured
As the four winds blow -
Nothing is duller than the driven snow.


~Darkling Plain, Sept. 18, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment