Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Trading Places

Trading Places


I once knew a boy
Whod seen more of the world
At ten than I had at twenty,
And I wanted his life plenty
So many places I want to see
And if this life is all I've got,
I'm gonna be one sore loser
Cause I wished that it were me.

But it just doesn't work like that.

I once knew a woman
I listened to her stories
Of Peace Corp glories -
Saw a man felled by killer bees
Backpacked through Europe
And in the North Alaskan sea
She rode upon a ship
Cleaned fish for the trip and
I wished that it were me.

But it just doesn't work like that.


My life is not simple
And in truth, its not common.
The things I have seen
Don't make for polite conversation.
But adventures in my head don't die
All those years to reach and I tried,
But could never grab the ring
Now I make my keyboard sing
To the tune that I hum in my head -
I try not to dread, but
Thats just how I feel.
I wish that it was real -
And could split myself in two
Do what you do
And not lose what I have

But it just doesn't work like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment