Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Lifeboat

Lifeboat


When I boarded that boat I was traveling far
To a nameless destination determined by the stars
But the ship sprung a leak and no one even noticed
Until it was too late to repair the damage
And on a bright summer day I abandoned ship,
But the sun wouldn't let me cry.

I took what was left of my life that day
Only take what you need I heard them say
But how to decide what's to go and what's to stay?
Still the sun wouldn't let me cry.

You can't take much, yet there's so much you can take
I stood on the deck with my back to the wake
And filled my pack for sanity's sake
With all the best things I could find.

I took a pound of flesh, and a length of wit
I grabbed a cash of faith, and buried it
So deep down in my pockets with the lint and the dust
They'd never see the light of the day -

And I remembered an old warning a friend gave to me
When driving in the desert young and carelessly
Be careful out there that you don't break down, you see -
'Cause you're bound to get burned by the sun.

So I shielded myself in unyielding resolution
I thought that it would be enough to keep my constitution
From drying in the sun and blistering on the surface,
But I never was the type that could tan. 

But my eyes crusted over, so I could scarcely see
My lips were parched so I could barely speak
My dreams, they shriveled right in front of me
Still the sun wouldn't let me cry. 

Now I've been in this lifeboat for what seems like years
And what is the use in shedding useless tears?
My fate to the gods
And my face to the sky
Still the sun won't let me cry.


~Darkling Plain, Sept. 1, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment