Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Coffeehouse

Coffeehouse


In that coffeehouse we sat
Trading stories of our times,
The brown-edged book between us,
The connection of our lives
And the reason she was sitting there.

Her Gibson girl fashion and
My East Coast black
Clashed like a cymbal
As did electric lamps clinical
And the gas lamps magical, that
Flickered in the night outside,
The divergence of the warm of night
And air-conditioned, sterile bright
Belied her demeanor, ever so slight,
As she startled at the noise from the grinder,

Saying: How long have you had this?
As she gained her composure.

I bought it for twenty.

A cause for foreclosure in my day.
She answered.

At that I replied,
I know, it's strange.
Our ways are so different,
The world has changed
But the human heart hasn't,
And it makes me sad
That we couldn't survive
In the world of the other
For ignorance and pride,

And yet I yearn for the feel of
Paper fine,
Worn rough in kind,
The musty smell of time,
The creak of the spine,
As I peel back the page
To find in old words
A new gist for this age.

And she said to me:
I would trade it blind
For air-conditioned comfort
And a slice of key lime.

(She got me there.)

And I countered, laughing:
Don't get me wrong,
The keyboard may sooth
With keystroke fast song
And hidden worlds anew
Never known in my youth
And push-button edit minus
Ink stain truth,
But please leave me this -
Some romance in my day,
And she said alright
As she faded away.

And now I sit alone
My book upon my knee
Best ransom ever paid
For my soul to be set free.


~Darkling Plain, Aug. 24, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment