Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Black Water

Black Water


Black water rain on the mountain top
Runs to the valley below,
All my friends moved away from here
Some fifteen years ago.
And the fog that hangs in the valley
Reminds me of why they left,
No future here outside of coal
Even that work's hard to get.

That musty smell I know so well
Lingers in the air year 'round,
Where local bars and racing cars
Are the only games in town.
And nothing for sale here sells at all
The homes rot from within,
While every kid gets a car at sixteen
Hides the poverty of one's kin.

Once these towns were a millionaire's dream
Now a minor's nightmare it's true.
The sediment from the mine is thick
And sticks to you like glue.
Most grew roots in distant lands
Made doctors of themselves,
Lawyers, cops and businessmen -
They say they're from somewhere else.
But some like me, we're fated to stay
And try to carry on -
It's all I know so I chose to sew
My seeds in this one-horse town.


~Darkling Plain, Sept. 12, 2006 

No comments:

Post a Comment