Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Liturgy for a Young Woman

Liturgy for a Young Woman


Heavy wooden doors heave open,
My footfalls light on flagstone floors,
The midnight mass begins.

Communion of worldly and holy,
Hold me rapt in this ghostly abode,
Every day, placing in my mind
The pews, the altar, and
Whispers of pipe organ screams.

Sacrilege by the
Litany of my days and
Wickedness of my nights.
Dirty laundry in the vestibule,
Wrung out in the dark corners
Where the flesh and spirit are weak.

Afraid to speak or rouse the dead
Who walk with bowed heads,
Swift feet and swifter scorn
For those who have scarred the sacred
With eternal sins and devious ends,
And trading long days for indulgences,
I turn the key to find imperfect peace,
A one window cell inwardly framing
A stained-glass sanctuary,
A raison d'etre.

Laying down my burden,
Caring for all and for nothing,
In this place I am lost, and yet
I feel sublime, and it is time for
Benedictions of the working girl,
Prayers of abject youth,
Petitions of hope, and
Vespers in the dark.


~Darkling Plain, Aug. 24, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment