Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Elephants and Spiders

Elephants and Spiders


In a black lacquered box of heirlooms,
Amongst baubles and loosened beads,
And the gentle recollections of a lifetime,
I was permitted to choose -

And digging amongst the mountain of tangled chains
Broken clasps and earring backs
I turned my attention to the elephants -

Elephants of pink and white and green
Elephants on chains and pins and rings
Elephants of acceptance
Elephants of persistence
Elephants of a common existence.

And there below,
Cast alone with gold legs and green stone -
No obvious beauty in
The modern sensibility,

A spider of creativity
A spider of eccentricity
A spider of nonconformity
A spider of soft soliloquy
A spider weaving webs of destiny -

I chose the spider, grandmother,
I chose the spider.


~Darkling Plain, Aug. 24, 2006 

No comments:

Post a Comment