Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Nothing

Nothing


Heaven.

What can you offer?

Freedom from pain?
Could I ever stay long enough
To forget this earthly plane,
The salve to every jagged hack in my
Soul's flesh not withstanding?

As to pain,
An ever present banquet where the dog
Paws begging for the discarded scraps of delight,
Little bits of joy taken here and there,
Perhaps it is for the best -
Eternal bliss could get wearisome,
And fattening,
After a while.

But I digress;
I'll tell you this...

I've done everything and nothing,
Met everyone and no one,
Traveled forwards and back,
Sat in this place and that as
I've looked here and there,
To and from every angle,
For every angle,
Lit the fires and put them out,
Set the target and missed the mark.

And still,
Still,
You tell me,

When I know everything,
When I meet everyone,
When I go everywhere,
When I take everything,
I will be full.

I doubt it.

I will be nothing,
Because I have nothing to strive for.
Then again,
Perhaps that's what I'm searching for...

Nothing.


~Darkling Plain, Oct. 22, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment