Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

On the Cusp of Thirty-Four

On the Cusp of Thirty-Four


I found the pictures in a box
I hadn't looked at them in years
I was eighteen, I was twenty-one

I was beautiful.

At the time I didn't think I was.

I now look upon my eyes and mouth
And skin and hair with regretful wonder
I will never look that good again.
I never embraced my beauty
As a woman.
As a human.

My hair it was redder
My skin it was smoother
My lips they were fuller
My body it was firmer

And I was smart to boot…good God.

I only looked to what the boys around me wanted
Blonde hair, blue eyes, big breasts
I didn't have it.
I wanted it.

I was so stupid.

I should have strutted down the street
I should have worn a tighter skirt
I should have been a little flirt

Should've, Would've, Could've.

Confidence came to me with age
I know who I am
I wish I knew then. 

It's true what they say…
Youth is wasted on the young.


~Darkling Plain, Sept. 12, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment