Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Realm

Realm


Down the dirt path
Past the algae stone creek
Where the neighborhood
Pot and bees grew,

Stood the old tree house
Built before my birth,
Shunning the earth.
An impressive thing
Of rotting boards and nails,
Defying me to climb higher.

And there,
Amid the ivy
And the Joe-Pye Weed
Stood my mystic waking dream:

An old playground
Rising from the place where
The old school did not.

Steel monkey bars,
The forever slide,
And the skeleton swing.
This was the kingdom
Of my imagination,
And mine alone.

Never too close,
Never to touch.
The tall weeds were infested
With snakes I was warned.

Still,
I journeyed there
In my mind
A thousand times and more,
Never quite sure enough
To go all the way.

But if I could go back
I would,
Take my machete
And my dog
Past the ivy
Past the Joe-Pye weed,
And with the full force of
My battering ram imagination,
Storm the castle gates,
And rule there forever.


~Darkling Plain, Aug. 24, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment