Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Windshield

Windshield


The crack in my windshield grows everyday
Reminding me of the times we played
Childhood games and sometimes I wish
I'd stayed back there, warm as the stitch
In the blanket I used to hide under.

But simplicity it seems wasn't in the cards,
No idea adult games could get so hard -
Two on the one side and one on the other
Disease and the reaper closer than brothers
And sometimes I wish I'd stayed back there.

I saw to the other side through your eyes -
The veil of the devil you tried to disguise
But eventually the cutter takes his prize
And you'll leave me with no consolation -
Thick devastation, cold in the night
And I wish that I could go back there.

And someday, when they come to get me
And I see the forest through all of the trees
When all I connected unravels at the seams
Like the patchwork quilt I knit of my dreams -
Just one request will roll off my lips
A whispering wind to a thousand ships...

I want so much to go back there.


~Darkling Plain, Aug. 28, 2006 

No comments:

Post a Comment