Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

A Most Unusual Affair

A Most Unusual Affair


I visited with my demons
Though the choice was not my own,
They showed me all my failures
Every chance I'd ever blown.

I dined with insipidity
Who served a dish so cold,
It tasted of a cardboard box
From when I was thirteen years old.

I kept my pictures hidden there
My visions of the world,
Shot with the zoom of a child's eye
The edges had started to curl.

Thus knowing I liked photography
Doubt took me by the hand,
He led me to a dark room
So small I could hardly stand.

He showed me the photos I'd snapped of life
How he stole them I could not describe,
And in spite of the method – the way I was taught
Not one was black and white.

Finally regret with a hint of a smile
Served a blood red cordial so smooth,
I knocked back every glass he poured
My troubled mind to sooth.

Yet the brew ran out both sides of my mouth
And dribbled onto my dress,
I wanted it cleaned but the stain was set
As my dreams were put to rest.

And at last allowed to take my leave
With pen so hot it burned,
I purged them all from the place where I crawled
A hard taught lesson learned.

As one by one my works were done
No grace for this insolent soul,
I wrote in blood on parchment pale
Half is bigger than the whole.


~Darkling Plain, Sept. 26, 2006

No comments:

Post a Comment