Pages

Saturday, August 4, 2012

Hurt Like Hell

Hurt Like Hell


I loved the way you signed your name
With a keyboard at the end.

The end.

Where we put down our pens.

Two lunchtime freaks
You passed me music sheets
I passed you poetry
We passed the year
In the mutual appreciation society.

I won't be coming back next year
Between tears you said everything would
Be alright.
I wouldn't be writing poems about
People in the middle of the night
About to kill themselves.

I said you were going to be a great musician
And I'd proudly claim I knew you when
Keep in touch
Lost touch
Last touch

Eighteen years old
Such a bold year
To be alive.

My soul broke
The day I heard,
And my pen ran dry
As my tears ran steady.

Now here I sit
At thirty-four
Your picture on my desk
Your words in my mind
You're still as young
As I remember.
My pen is full my muse,
Speak to me.


~Darkling Plain, Apr. 11, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment